Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Parable of The Good Shepherd ...Session 2

       
 The Parable of the Good Shepherd --session 2 of 2 ------------------------------------------------------Pg.1
John 10:6-18"….6 This figure Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them. 
7 So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 
8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers; but the sheep did not heed them. 
9 I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 
12 He who is a hireling and not a shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming
 and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf  snatches them and scatters them.  
13 He flees because he is a hireling and cares nothing for the sheep. 
14 I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me, 
15 as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.
 16 And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed 
my voice. So there shall be one flock, one  shepherd. 
17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again
.  18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it 
down, and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father.”

Jesus knew there were those who had not heard his message, and he knew the Pharisees, to 
whom he was speaking, and those who were still under the law of the Old Testament were still 
questioning his Sonship, they wanted a Messiah. But there were others, not of the Jewish nation, 
they were as sheep going astray, scattered about in the several parts of the world; and were to be 
redeemed out of every nation:  And there are those today who even after hearing his message, 
are too busy with the business of coping with life’s empty promises, those who are suffering from 
poverty, slavery, in prison, or just too preoccupied with getting by. Jesus wants to bring all to his 
heavenly kingdom and glory on account of his Father's will. And as well, because of the case and 
condition of these sheep, who otherwise must have eternally perished:

7.So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
Here he proclaims that he is the only way from Earth to Heaven He is the door into heaven itself, 
Heaven’s Gate, through which they shall have an abundant entrance into it: He is the only door; 
there is no coming to God, but by, and through him;
Q.1 Do all of the worlds religions confess this? Do we confess this?
Q.2 Why are there different beliefs.
Q.3 What is the full meaning  of this verse?  John 14:6
 Joh 14:6  Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father 
except through me.
8 All who came before me are thieves and robbers; but the sheep did not heed them. They usurped
 a power that did not belong to them, robbed God of his authority, and glory; and, in a literal sense, 
plundered men of their substance
Q.1 Of whom was Jesus speaking in his day and time?
Q.2 What do we as Christians call those that do that even now Matt_24:24 Mat 24:24  For false
 messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, 
even the elect.
Q.3 Who are those that do not heed them? Who are those that do?
                                                                                                                                         
                                                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                        Pg.2
9 I am the door; if any one enters by me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 
Such are, and for ever shall be, in a safe state, being in Christ, and in his hands, out of which none 
can pluck them:
Rom 10:9  If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised
 him from the dead, you will be saved.
Isa 61:7  Instead of your shame you will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace you will
 rejoice in your inheritance. And so you will inherit a double portion in your land, and everlasting 
joy will be yours.
Q.1 Jesus said “I am the door” What is the message in this phrase?
Q.2 What does this say about those who enter by him.   Psalm 34:22
Psalm 34:22  Jehovah redeemeth the soul of his servants; And none of them that take refuge in him
 shall be condemned.
Q.3 What does this say about those who do not enter by him?
                                                                                                                                         
10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it 
abundantly. Such teachers that come not in by the right door, or with a divine commission, seek
 to deceive, and carry away the sheep of Christ from him.
Christ came into this world in human form, to give his flesh, his body, his whole human nature, 
soul and body, for the life of these persons. Christ came that his people might have eternal life, 
with more abundant evidence of it than was under the former dispensation, and have stronger faith 
in it, and a more lively hope of it:
Q.1 Jesus spoke about thieves and robbers, why ?  Matt  21:13  Mat 21:13  "It is written," 
he said to them, "'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it 'a den of robbers.'"
Q.2 What is a more abundant life?  Psalm 23

11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
He died in the place and stead of men; to obtain their being set free from the punishment of sin, 
to obtain the pardon of their sin; and that his death should obtain that pardon. Our Lord laid not 
his life down for his doctrine, but for his sheep.
Q.1Why did Jesus make these comparisons? 1Peter_2:24
1Pe 2:24  "He himself bore our sins" in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live 
for righteousness; "by his wounds you have been healed."
Q.2Does doctrine provide us with salvation? Isaiah 53:5
Isa 53:5  But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment 
that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed.
12. He who is a hireling and not a shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming and 
leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf  snatches them and scatters them.  13. He flees because he is 
a hireling and cares nothing for the sheep.
A hireling, and not a Shepherd is one who is unfaithful to his trust; A false representation of who he is, 
someone who cares not for his responsibility
Q.1 What is God’s judgment on one who is a hireling? Zechariah 11:17
Zec 11:17  "Woe to the worthless shepherd, who deserts the flock! May the sword strike his arm 
and his right eye! May his arm be completely withered, his right eye totally blinded!"
Q.2 Can we describe one who is not a hireling?  Isaiah 40:11
Isa 40:11  He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close 
to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.

                                                                                                                        Pg.3
14 I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me,
15 as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.
He knows who we are and he laid down his life for each of us, Just as a Good Shepherd does for 
his sheep.  He knows us better than we know ourselves, He calls to us, cares for us, and died for us. 
We are his, and he loves us.
Q.2 “the Father knows me and I know the Father”.. meaning? Matt. 11:27
Mat 11:27  "All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except 
the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to 
reveal him.
Q.1 “I know my own and my own know me” meaning?… Psalm 139:1-5
You have searched me, LORD, and you know me.
Psa 139:2  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
Psa 139:3  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
Psa 139:4  Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely.
Psa 139:5  You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.


16 And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my 
voice. So there shall be one flock, one  shepherd.
Q.1 Can we understand, that Jesus wants everyone to come unto, him for their salvation? … 
Rev. 5:9
Rev 5:9  And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, 
because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and 
anguage and people and nation.
17 For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life, that I may take it again.  
18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, 
and I have power to take it again; this charge I have received from my Father."
He lay Down his life voluntarily; As willed by His Father, and none can take it from him. 
Only he can give his life for us, as purposed by God. Then shall he give the world the fullest 
proof of His supreme power by raising, in three days, that very crucified, wounded body from 
the grave. And By his Stripes we are healed
Isa 53:11  After he has suffered, he will see the light of life and be satisfied; by his knowledge 
my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities.
Q. 1 How do these verses give assurance to a Christian? Heb. 2:-9
Heb 2:9  But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now 
crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might 
taste death for everyone.
Q. 2  The promise of Jesus’ Life Death and Resurrection is? Heb. 10: 14-
Heb 10:14  For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.
And Finally, what do you feel is the reason that Jesus repeated the parable?  John 14:6
Joh 14:6  Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father 
except through me.





                                       Bible Meditation verses
Heb 10:18  And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.
Heb 10:19  Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place
by the blood of Jesus,
Heb 10:20  by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body,
Heb 10:21  and since we have a great priest over the house of God,
Heb 10:22  let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, 
having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed 
with pure water.
Heb 10:23  Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
Heb 10:24  And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,
Heb 10:25  not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one 
another--and all the more as you see The Day approaching.
                                                Closing Prayer
Almighty God our father, our good shepherd, help us we pray to better understand that we are yours 
and yours alone. You are the keeper of our souls, the Good Shepherd who looks after the well being 
of every facet of our life. You watch over our coming and going both now and forevermore. You will 
let no harm befall us. You have given the life of Your Son Jesus to protect us from him who would 
destroy us. Forgive our transgressions and keep us safe through the life death and resurrection of 
Your son Jesus. In him and him only do  we trust for our salvation.   Amen















                                                                                     











No comments:

Post a Comment