Monday, June 1, 2015

God Seeks The Best in Us

                                                                                                                                                 Pg.1
Opening Prayer
Father God  we gather tonight to study Jesus words from the Sermon on The Mount. We ask that you impart to us that which you would have us learn from tonight’s study. We pray for your blessings on each one here, and that you share our blessing with those of our group who cannot be here tonight. Favor each of us with your presence tonight and throughout the coming week as we seek  to find your will in all that we do.
In Jesus name we pray Amen.

Matthew7:9  "Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10  Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11  If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

It is all there, just as for Adam and Eve, it was all there. We simply must obey the just and righteous laws that God has set forth for our well being. If we disobey those laws grave consequences are our reward. If Adam and Eve had just known what disobeying God really meant, Do we think they would have taken a bite from the apple. God meant the best for them, as he does for us. Just as a parents want nothing but the best for their children, God wants to give to us those things that he has reserved for us. Just as paradise was there for Adam and Eve, God has plans for each of us, plans made even before time began.  Jeremiah 29:11-13
 Sometimes, however, it may seem as if the Lord has given us “stones” instead of “bread.” But in His wisdom, He actually is working through our circumstances to give us something far better than what we requested. An unknown author expressed it this way:

I asked for health that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity that I might do better things. I asked God for strength that I might achieve;  I was made weak that I might learn to obey. I asked for riches that I might be happy; I was given poverty that I might be wise. I asked for power and the praise of men; I was given weakness to sense my need of God. I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might enjoy all things. I got nothing I asked for but everything I hoped for; In spite of myself, my prayers were answered—I am among all men most richly blessed.
Yes, God always gives us what’s best for us.

Q.1 As we study these three verses, do we understand what is needed by the person asking of God?
Q.2 What is there to be found when seeking council with God?

Q.3 The steps to our salvation are this, Ask Jesus into your heart, your life,
Seek his way in all things, Knock at his door for all your needs minute by minute He is there for you, and like a parent provides for their children, God wants the best for us. What are those things that lead us to first ask?

Q.4 We need many things in this life in order to make our way day by day, and by my observance we have been afforded those things. We are blessed by God in his having given us all the best of life’s gifts. What song comes to mind?
                                                                                                                                      Pg.2
Mat 7:12  So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
The theme of vs. 12 is that of equity and justice, which must regulate us in our dealings with one another. Its brevity evidences the Divine wisdom of God in Jesus. Who else could have condensed so much into so few words? With the Jews of that day,  it was a negative; they said, if there is anything that you do not like, that is very hateful to you, do not do that to another. Jesus Christ deals with the same application of that law and makes a positive “Golden Rule” of it.
The manner in which this rule is enforced manifests the fundamental unity of the two economies. Analyzing this one verse we find it contains three things.
First, a conclusion drawn from the context. "therefore." Second, a commandment which presents to us a standard of complete unselfishness: "whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." Third, a commendation of that standard: "for this is the law and the prophets
This rule, like all the Divine precepts, is spiritual, and concerns the inward man as well as the outward: bearing upon our thoughts as well as our words and actions. The whole Law of God is spiritual (Rom. 7:14). "The law of the Lord is perfect. (Ps. 19:7-8): it is a guide not only for the motions of the body, but also for the intents and workings of the heart. As is the first table, so is the second: "the second is like unto it" (Matthew 22:39-40). How so? It is as spiritual as the first, and therefore not only what I "do" but also what I think and purpose to do unto others is comprehended in it.
 What is there more that man can ask of one another, but to love God, and keep his commandments?

Q.1 How does this verse twelve compare with the present state of our world?

Q.5 Do, you recognize this phrase? “Do unto others before they do unto you”. Explain.

Q.4 Who in America are those most aware of that  version of the rule?

Q.2 What would need to happen world wide , to make this verse twelve more relevant?

Q.3 What are your feelings about this verse as it applies to America?

Q.6 Can you cite some examples of this “Golden Rule”  in action?












Bible Verses                                                                                     Pg3


Jeremiah 29:11-13  For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Romans 7:14-15  We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15  I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do

Psalms 19:7-8  The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. 8  The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes. Closing Prayer

Mat 22:39-40  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."


God of our salvation, we thank you for our time together tonight. We ask that you continue with us as we leave this place, make a blessing for each one here and deliver us safely to our homes. Be with those of us who need our prayers and Your healing touch_(prayer requests)_ And now we ask that You bless each one mentioned here tonight with Your comfort and assurance, and offer them the strength to endure so that Your name may be exalted. We pray for our loved ones and families….. may it please You to keep us from all harm and bring us together again when next we assemble in Your name.
In the name of Jesus we pray, Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment